Friday, December 31, 2004

FortyTwo (2002)

Woke one morning when the sun was up
My mind was water in a paper cup of holes
Beauty living on the edge of town
You're a mile from the border when you're turned around and told
There's no one home
When a child has reached his fifteenth year
He's learned to walk along a trail of fear and love

Boardwalk burning in the midday sun
The sea, the sky, the earth, the penny arcade are one
Don't feel a sentimental fool right now
The roaring river's all his heart allows to run
Are we having fun?

She said "I've got a question to put to you"
She said "How?" She said "Who?"
He said "Forty-two years I've seen
And I thought I'd know more than I did back then
And I do but I'm more confused than I've ever been"

But You torch up the night
You torch up the night for me

Dreamed a thought for the young at heart
The morning after's the hardest part to make
Words that breed like apple cores
All that I have stolen's your to take
What can we fake?
All the corners are filled with beggar-men
March's cover's making out with an also-ran from Tinseltown
You're praying to the Lord there's more than this
He may be sayin right back, more than ritual is
A thorny crown

You torch up the night
You torch up the night for me

I had a dream last night
You placed a lamp on my table
I'd gotten nothing right
I was a Cain
You were my Abel
And in the wilderness
No man or beast would touch me
They all ran and hid
I don't know if their hearts were good or bad
I only know thats what they did

Woke one morning when the sun was up
My mind water in a paper cup of holes...

No comments: