Saturday, January 01, 2005

Conversations (2000)

Tell me about all of the things you'd thought you'd figured out
And learned a little later on what you'd been wrong about
I need to laugh bout something
I need to smile bout something
Thought I'd told you once before there is no fatal line
You use them right in combination they'll fit right in each time
You need to laugh bout something
You need to smile bout something

See the pieces of a story falling from their place
We'd catch them if we were only freed up from the race
Of a world that's been our cradle and our cell
Since before there was history to tell

Once there was a girl I knew with whom I fell in love
Strange how their smiles fit round your daydreams like a glove
I need to laugh bout something
Now I need to smile bout something

Tell me stories from your book, do not withhold your peace
Fill this empty heart with smoke and bid the daylight cease
Within a perfect brew of clouds and flames
Let's make up songs about old lover games

You know between the two of us
We don't think we know or need to know that much
And what is our main concern
Sunday 1 o'clock it's hey man what's for lunch
You go up to the mountains
To get frozen to the bone
I look up and curse the sun
Leaving us on our own

When it's late and I come home and you're too asleep to speak
I announce I'm giving in with a shuffle and a creak
I need to laugh bout something
I need to smile bout something

No comments: