Sunday, April 18, 2004

Filling In The Blanks

I went to Fellowship's membership class two weeks ago, as part of my effort to (duh!) become a member, and they handed me a membership manual with approximately 40 pages of things to fill out. Most of the questions were theology-related, a healthy amount involved church-related activity, and then there was some personal stuff too. Most of it were fine things to have a potential member fill out, I thought, though I did find it strange that the manual asked (right after asking if you really intended to join the church) if you were Christian. Not in so many words, perhaps, but something clearly to that effect. Apparently, there are a lot of confused Zen Buddhists who might sign up for church membership. I'm glad they thought of that. It'd be disconcerting to hear testimonies from fellow members about how much the universe, or something in general, loves us, right after, say, singing 'The Wonderful Cross'.

I turned in my membership manual today, and I hope all goes well with that. I was a bit of a punk on some of the questions (especially the ones that came right after the multiple-choice connect-the-dots questions... I thought I was done with those things in secondary school). It hasn't exactly been an easy week either (pancake bunny!!!), so I wasn't necessarily in the best mood for fill-in-the-blanks-type activity. But it's done, and that's that. I'm a bit iffy about small group leadership, now, though, because last week, Matt probably lead the best the small group session I'd been to since I became a believer. I basically asked him after that "Are you sure you want to step down?". He said he'd pray about it... I hope he changes his mind. Regardless, though, I'm still going to continue trying to attain membership, if only because it seems like the logical thing to do at this point, seeing as how I already 1) tithe regularly 2) serve with YAMs, and 3) deplete their main lounge coffee supply every Sunday morning.

I need to buy new clothes. I noticed this past week that just about every t-shirt I own has a hole in it. I'm missing a strap on the left half of the only pair of sandals I have. My shoes (both pairs) are worn and tattered. My jeans bore me. I seem to be losing underwear. I don't know. They just seem to run out faster these days. There has to be an explanation. Somewhere in Laurel Apartments there might be a demented underwear thief who shows up in the laundry room on Saturday mornings and steals my underwear, probably while I'm upstairs watching 'Yu-Gi-Oh!'. That's just disturbing to think about. Which brings me to my next point: I need to find a new place to stay. I've been here for three-and-a-half years. No place is *that* interesting a place to live in.

Right now I'm thinking somewhere in Fort Sanders, which is close to downtown, so I can get to work quick. Single-bedroom, broadband, and decent kitchen space. Preferably with soundproof walls, so that when I get my PC sound interface and an mixing program, I won't disturb the neighbours too much. I'll probably get a new computer too, maybe one of those boutique gaming rigs. And a new car, hopefully a Beetle, or something else with good fuel economy. A hybrid might be a good idea. I rarely go much above the speed limit anyway.

I also need to get a new black suit for Brent and Marci's wedding. The suits were their idea. A suit is good for more occasions than a tux, so it doesn't really make sense to spend money renting a tux when you can just buy a suit that you'll get to use again. Brent and Marci are great; they look out for their people.

No comments: