Thursday, February 24, 2005

Talk Shows/Old Songs/Wankers

Well it's been a little more than a month since I got back. I've been having a pretty good time here, I'm glad to say, though I do think I miss Knoxville sometimes. It's not so much the place (though I do pine for Borders... how sad). But I do think about the folks I knew back there that I can't just call up or meet at church. I suppose that's normal when you spend seven years of your life in one place.

I went to a Youth group do at SIB (Sidang Injil Borneo) church last week. They did it up kinda like a talk show, with cushions up on stage for the interviewers and interviewees to sit, live jazz music, and video clips produced just for the occasion. I kinda wished they'd just keep it simple, but maybe "AWE-some!!!!!" productions are par for the course at this church :p.

The theme of the night was 'There And Back Again' (ack! LOTR!), and they interviewed three folks about their experience coming home and adjusting after having been overseas for a while. Apparently some folks have a rough time of it, which I understand. There's a tangible difference between the way we do things here in good ol' Malaysia and the way things are overseas, and I suppose you could get pretty wound up thinking about those differences. Then again, I spoke to a couple of folks at cell group last night who didn't have any problems adjusting at all after coming home. There's all kinds.

I'm guessing right now I'm not having too hard a time settling in. I don't spend the whole day pining for this or that. There's a lot of stuff here to take joy in and be grateful for (The food's better!). But like I said, it does hurt sometimes to think about stuff I've left behind. The other day I caught myself talking to my Toyota Tercel from afar, sending it luv and best wishes. I hope Ruby's topping up the oil levels like she's supposed to :(. It's mostly small things like that, but it's enough to put me in a quiet place for a bit.

These days I mostly work or game. I've also been spending a lot of time learning the worship songs I used to sing at Fellowship Church and with the Navigators. I think maybe that's a piece of my life in Knoxville that I've got with me wherever I go, so I may as well learn the songs by heart. I do a little church stuff... cell group on Wednesdays, church on Sundays (either SIB, which is where Jessy goes, or Full Gospel Assembly, which is where Jason and Jeevan go), but nothing too committal yet. I feel like I got license to float a little, so I may as well use it :D.

I guess now's a good time as any to say I'm kinda using a new email account. The old Netlearning account still works, but folks can now contact me also at greyhoundbng@gmail.com. I guess once I'm done with Netlearning, that'll become my main email addy. There's the old Hotmail addy... but I think it was established here long ago that that's my wankers email, so don't bother with it.

Unless you're a wanker.

No comments: