Wednesday, February 09, 2005

There's More Haitians Here Than I Remembered

Well it's been a while since I posted anything, and to everyone who checks in regularly, semi-regularly, or at all... I apologize. I've been meaning to change the look of the blog before I started blogging again, and I thought I'd get round to last week, but my latest gaming habits have kept me from doing so. Between 'W40k:Dawn of War' and work, there really isn't time to figure out how Blogger's tags work and revisit all my buried CSS knowledge. So for now, the site's going to retain it's pastel flavor.

Nothing has changed much in Malaysia since I last left it two years ago. There's a couple of new shopping malls, to which the Ah Beng (those of you unfamiliar with the term, this Singaporean definition kinda works) population congregate. Couldn't be bothered much with those, though Berjaya Times Square does have a cool-looking indoor rollercoaster to suck in the Ah Beng's ringgit. I went to good ol' Sungei Wang Plaza with my old secondary school friend Mr Jason a/l Jaganathan a few weeks back, and was taken aback by the massive numbers of Ah Bengs and Ah Lians cramped shoulder-to-shoulder in between pirated DVD shops and Levis outlets. We theorized that a missile attack on Sungei Wang on a Sunday would effectively take out a tenth of Malaysia's Ah Beng population.

A lot of afternoons (and evenings on weekends) are taken up playing Dawn Of War at Adrian's house. We don't have LAN parties, we have LAN-Round-The-Clock. I think my mom still misses me and wonders when I'm coming home. We call our gaming sessions 'foam' sessions, and there's a point during the game when you need to start 'foaming'. There's a bit of history in that terminology I won't go into right now, but most initial etymological theories would most probably be close enough.

I'm having a lot of fun with culture shock jokes right now... basically it's just fun to pronounce things in a painfully fake and heavy American accent, so that place names like Subang Jaya and Kuala Lumpur come out just a little bit wrong. Okay a lot wrong. It's more fun telling people you live in "Sue-BANG Jay-uh" though, as opposed to plain ol' Subang Jaya. It's a little mean, but I also make it point to tell everyone what stuff costs in USD :p, and then say "hey, I'll pay for it, it's only X USD!" That one's gonna bite me in the butt soon, I'm sure.

I also wonder a lot to folks about where all these Haitians in Malaysia are, since there are all these signboards with the word "Perhatian" on em. Like where are all these Haitians and why do we need to deal with them on a Per-Haitian basis?

On that note, I think I'll stop and get back to work.

Happy Chinese New Year!

No comments: